I realise the apparent interchangeability of David and Stephen, and Stephen and David, could raise existential questions about identity and the representation received by the good burghers of Headington -- all of whom, whatever they vote, each of us, with our county colleagues Altaf and Gail, serve to the best of our abilities. If I say we aim to provide a seamless service, you might think I'm intending to set up a rival to Sketchley's. And, anyway, being good liberals, we pride ourselves in sharing principles but differing in idiosyncracies.
So, for those of you who want a shorthand guide to telling the difference between Headington city councillors, he's a ready reckoner:
- if it's spouting Latin, it's not Stephen [nota bene: there may be exceptions to this rule]
- if it's gallantly saving a fainting lady, it's not David (sad to say)
- if it starts talking about the Renaissance in a mesmerising fashion, it's not Stephen
- if it looks as if it could be in a boys band, it's not David
- if it's got a glass of whisky in it's hand, it's not Stephen
- if it's got it's shirt off, it definitely isn't David
From now on, let me assure you, all postings will not only be written by me but posted by me too. But don't let that put you off...